Summer Berry Pie


Summer is such a fun time to bake pies with fresh summer fruits and I have been LOVING baking different berry pies this summer. This is one I baked the other night and it turned out so well I wanted to share. Pie's are pretty simple to make which is one of the many reasons I love baking them but I thought I would share this recipe and a few of things I've learned about baking them.
Fist off butter is your friend! I'm not sure you can have too much butter (kidding... sort of) and sometimes I like to go a little over on the butter to make the crust extra flaky. I also freeze the butter and than grate it.


Grating the butter helps the crust mixture to require less handling which also adds to flaky-ness.
When adding the iced water to the crust mixture really do try to use the 4 tablespoons and not go to far over.
I used this cute little heart cookie cutter to cut out hearts for the top crust. This is one of my favorite ways to top a pie and it looks great and is way simpler than doing a lattice.
Strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and raspberry mixture, topped with sugar and cornstarch.

Once the pie crust is on top of the filled pie I used the heart cut outs to line the edge of the pie.

Brush milk over pie and sprinkle sugar to have a sweet top and golden brown crust.

Ingredients
Crust
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold (I put it in the freezer) grated
4 tablespoons ice water
Filling
All fresh fruit
1 cup Strawberries- sliced thin
1 cup Blackberries
1 cup Raspberries
1 1/2 cup blueberries
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar

Instructions
First I start with the crust so that it has time to chill before making the filling.
Combine the flour with the salt in a large bowl. Next grate the butter and add it into the flour salt mixture until it resembles crumbs. Fill a glass with water and ice and let it set so it chills, then add the cold water to the mixture (try to use not much more than 4 tablespoons). Start by mixing it in with a fork and then I like to start using my fingers and hands and form the dough into two balls and then set them in the fridge to chill.

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

For the filling wash and slice the fruit and mix the fruit in a bowl. Add the corn starch and sugar and mix all together till all fruit is coated.

Roll out the chilled dough use a much flour as needed to keep the crust from sticking.
Place filling into bottom crust and then roll out the crust for the top and I used a cookie cutter to make heart shapes or you can do a lattice or anyway you like to top off a pie.

Place the pie in the oven and bake it for 45 minutes till golden brown. Let cool before cutting and serving.

Enjoy..
Paisley Grace


Comments

Popular Posts