A Year In Books - 2016


This year was not a good year for reading, and I managed to read a significantly smaller number of books compared to last year. I did have a lot more going on this year and it is sad to see my reading suffer from that but hopfully in 2017 I will make my goal. If you want to follow my reading challange for 2017 you can follow me on Goodreads by clicking here.
Readings slumps also hit me rather hard this year which also was a great contributior to the embarssingly small amout of books I read this year. I only made it to 21 books (I did re-read a couple of books but those don't count in Goodreads reading challanges) and 21 is not too bad but I really do wish I had done better. Even though the number was small I read some books I really enjoyed this year and I am here to share them.

The Heros of Olympus series by Rick Riordan


In 2015 I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians and it quickly became one of my favorite series, so I simply had to read the Hero of Olympus series. It was definitely one of my top reads of 2016 and maybe my favorite of the whole year. In this series we are introduced to new characters as well as returning characters from the Percy Jackson world. Rick Riordan is one of my favorite authors and everything I’ve read by him is such a fun and adventures read filled with mythology. This series features many different perspectives and voices and Riordan’s writing of each character is so dynamic and that was one of my favorite parts of the novels. If you have yet to read any of Rick Riordan’s novels I highly recommend you do this year. 

The Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan


Another Rick Riordan novel! What sets this this book apart from the other Percy Jackson books is that its told by the perspective of Apollo who has been turned into a mortal human by his father. This is a familiar situation for the god based on mythology where in the past Zeus has turned his son mortal to learn a lesson and only to regain godly status by completing trails. I really enjoyed this book, it was very different from the other Percy Jackson books but I liked the change and the new characters and I look forward to the next book. (Fingers crossed for more Percy in it.)

A Court of Thrones and Roses Series by Sarah J. Maas


A Court of Thorns and Roses is the first book in the ACOTAR series by Sarah J. Maas. This novel is a real telling of Beauty and the Beast set in a high fantasy word of Fae. Sarah J. Maas is also the author of the Throne of Glass series which is one of my other favorite series. This was a great read, the world building and character development was incredible. If you have are missing Throne of Glass or just need a good high fantasy read definitely pick this one up.

A Court of Mist and Fury


This is the second novel in the ACTOR series and I liked the first one but LOVED the second. It was quite a lengthy book but I loved every page and way the plot turned was so entertaining and page turning. I can't go into much more depth without ruining the plot but I can say it was a great book.

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas


This is the fifth and second to last book in the Throne of Glass series and was one of my most anticipated reads of 2016. I looked forward to its release the moment I finished Queen of Shadows and just like every other Throne of Glass novel. This is one of my all-time favorite series and I have fallen so in love with the characters and the story that it was of course one of my favorite books I read this year. Once again I can’t go into the plot of the book at all without majorly ruining the first four books but if you enjoy high fantasy this is definitely a series you should pick up this year. 

Room by Emma Donoghue


I first heard of this book when the movie was released and the story caught my interest and I am so glad that I read this book. This book is told by the perspective of a young boy named Jack who has spent his whole life in room. His mother has made it unaware to him that the two of them are being held against her will in a garden shed where the boy was born and until his fifth birthday he knows nothing else even exists. This story is so thought provoking as well as a real kicker to your emotions and its unique perspective of a 5 year old boy was easily the best writing I read this year. 

The Last Star by Rick Yancey



The final book in the 5th wave series was released this year as well. I read the first two books in this installment last year and I really enjoyed them both. The first book is a post-apocalyptic novel following Cassie who is trying to stay alive and rescue her bother from the “Others”. I have written other posts about this book as well as a goodreads review. I re-read the first two books leading up to the third books release as well as in preparation to the movie (which was BAD by the way). The final book in my opinion did wrap things up well and I was entertained throughout the whole book. This series is good it dose lean towards the teen/moody side but none the less a good read.

Thank you for reading! If you have read any of these books let me know what you think in the comments.
Xx Paisley Grace

Comments

Popular Posts